Saturday, August 6, 2011

Our Beautiful Baby Ashtyn Arianna


I was overwhelmed with feelings of excitement and fear. Fear for my baby that was coming into the world too early, fear for myself because I didnt know what to expect with childbirth, fear for Jake and myself on becoming new parents, and excitement to finally be meeting the little girl that had been kicking me in the ribs for the past few weeks. My labor was short and sweet, unlike what the doctor and nurses had told us to expect. I was told that I would be in labor for a few hours. I made the decision to get an epidural,which was a very interesting experience. The anesthesiologist had to put mine in twice because I couldnt relax enough for him to get it into the right spot. Once he did, it did its magic. It was then that I was told to expect a few hours until my labor would start progressing. Jake needed to run home (which was about 10 minutes away from the hospital) to get our cell phone chargers and a few other things from home. He was gone for about 15 minutes before I started to feel a slight pressure, the nurse came in and checked me and said that I was to the point that I could start pushing. I had to wait for Jake to get back and once he was there, I pushed for about 10 minutes, and then Ashtyn was here!





She was born at 2:06 pm on June 2nd, 2011. Born at 4 lbs 10 oz and 16 1/2 inches long. She looked beautiful. What a miracle!!
My mom got to cut the umbilical cord and she was soo happy to be able to do that!!!!
Ashtyn was born with only slight breathing problems. Our respiratory therapist was Mr. Bentley's wife from Sanpete. It was so awesome to have someone that I was so close to be there to take care of my baby. I knew that she was in good hands. I gave birth to Ashtyn at American Fork Hospital. The pediatrician that was on call said that they were going to give Ashtyn some surfactanct to help keep her lungs inflated and they would put her on a CPAP in hopes that that would be all that she needed to help improve her breathing. Unfortunately, he felt that she was going to need a respirator inserted to help her progress to the point of breathing on her own. American Fork Hospital didnt have the capability to keep her there with her needs, so they made the request to have her transported up to IMC Medical Center in Murray. So a few short hours after she was born, she was taken away from us. I had to stay the night in the AF hospital, and let my little newborn be taken by herself up to IMC. The next morning I was very anxious to get released so that I could get up to the other hospital and be with my baby. When we arrived at IMC, we were pleasantly surprised to find out that Ashtyn had only needed the respirator for the ambulance ride up to the hospital, and hadnt needed any other oxygen supports since then. She was progressing so well! The IMC hospital had parent rooms that we were able to stay in for free while Ashtyn was critical. I cannot begin to express what a blessing that was. I spent as much time with her as I could. I couldnt get enough of her. She was perfect!! Once she started to really gain weight, the doctors made the choice to transport Ashtyn back to American Fork hospital where she was able to be closer to home. We were so glad to have her so close. She only had to spend 17 days in the NICU between the two hospitals and then she was able to come home! Jake received a fantastic Father's Day present, his baby girl came home! We were very anxious to have her home with us, but nervous at the same time. The first few days at home were very nerve racking, every little sound that she made, I was there by her side to make sure that she was still alright. At nearly 2 and a 1/2 months, I cant say that that has really changed :-). She is my perfect little baby and I simply cannot get enough of her. I love every day that I get to spend with her, and I am so grateful that she is doing so well. She is such a little trooper, and I cant help but to think that that blessing is coming from her sweet guardian angel, Arianna. We are so blessed to be able to name our baby after such a sweet little girl. I know that our baby was able to spend time with Ari while they were in Heaven together, and I hope that that bond is held throughout Ashtyn's life.
I am very excited for the opportunity we have to be Ashtyn's parents, I am excited for the journey that we have started. I love my little girl more than I could ever express. She is so perfect in every way!

1 comment:

jayandminalyn said...

That is so cute. You write so good. I need to get back to blogging again.